Sunday, January 15, 2012

After thoughts of Family Vacay

We visited 4 cities: Rome (4.5 days,) Barcelona (3.5 days,) Paris (3.5 days,) London (2.5 days.)

Roaming Rome.

With every city, there are pros and cons. Rome is a magnificent city. The fact that they are capable of preserving hundreds of years of history is astonishing.  When I strolled through the city, it felt similar to one giant museum, but with zest. You just can’t get that kind of ancient beauty back in the States! Although there’s a lot of nice architecture, history, and culture in Rome, their subway systems are trash. There are only 2 main subway lines in Rome, and it seems as though a cleaning crew is inexistent. Trash bins are overflowing; floors are collaged with newspaper. This sight could possibly be that way because it’s the holidays and people are on vacation? Who knows. 



The family taking a Spanish cooking class!

On the other hand, I felt that Barcelona was quite the opposite. When I arrived at the airport, the black granite floors were gleaming. The public transportation systems looked as though they were swept at least twice a day.  If you’re looking for Spanish architecture, I would suggest visiting Sevilla rather than Barcelona. Barcelona is very city-like, and it’s a relatively new city when compared to Rome. What I love most about Spain is the people AND the food. The best of both worlds, what more could you ask for? Honestly, no one knows how to party as well as the Spaniards. I understand now why they have naptime ;) After coming to Spain, tapas is now my 2nd favorite food (after sushi of course.) You all know I’m a foodie, so that really says something!


New Year's in Paris!





The third city we visited was Paris. This trip will be my third time visiting Paris and honestly, I still don’t think I’ve seen the entire city! If you’re really productive you can see the main tourist attractions such as the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, in about 2 days. My family and I go at a one- attraction-a-day pace. Who wants to be stressed out about packing in a bajillion activities a day anyways? I mean it IS called vacation. One place worth mentioning was this awesome historical museum that displayed the evolution of animals. There were 3 levels: ocean, land, and air, which contain animals of each realm accordingly. WAY COOL. The only really bad thing I can say about Paris is the people. Yes they are super chic, but they are so rude! Made me miss our southern hospitality back in Texas. 








    
 The last and final city we visited was London. You can honestly do the main tourist attractions of London in a day. Besides the numerous cameras around the city watching you 24/7, it's a really nice city. 


Overall great family trip!



xoxo,
Amy






No comments:

Post a Comment