Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Volcanooo!!


Originally we were planning to rent a car, drive up to the cable car to take us up halfway, and then hike the rest of Volcan el Tiede. Unfortunately it seems that no one here drives automatic transmissions (Sarah Miller if you’re reading this, I expect lessons when I get home.) Things never go as well as planned, and honestly it’s better that way. You have more surprising adventures, and you gain more confidence in yourself when you reach your goals with the improvised route :)



Top of the volcano
We ended up taking a bus to the cable car, and took the cable car halfway up. Kirsten didn’t book her permit to hike to the top early enough for the morning sessions, and instead had booked an afternoon session. What I thought was a minor error before turned out for the better. Since we had a few mishaps in the morning, we couldn’t even use the morning permit I booked!




Success. We made it to the top! The views are phenomenal. I’ve always imagined the crater of a volcano to resemble something of a hole, rather than a large bowl. I wished the crater were filled with water so we could go swimming, but we were way above the clouds for any precipitation to occur. I must say it was difficult to breathe that high up; no wonder birds have the most efficient respiratory system.









After taking numerous photos, we ended up having a little picnic at the top of the mountain :)





xoxo,
Amy

2 comments:

  1. Amy dear- I think you mean manual transmission (it's a lot harder than it looks). Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly reread it silly. I said noone drives an automatic transmission... which means everyone drives a manual transmission.

    ReplyDelete