Saturday, October 15, 2011

Dear God, it's me Amy

My city is located 15-20 minutes outside of Brussels. It’s a completely pedestrian city and the population consists of about 25,000 people. Internet is not prevalent, nor is television. It’s hard to adjust at first, but it allows me to do more things that I supposedly “didn’t have time” to do back in Austin.


I took a stroll around my small town, and came across a small bookstore. This bookstore had about 100 shelves with each shelf being the length of one of my arms; 2 shelves had books written in English.
From a very limited selection, I chose Kafka on the Shore written by Haruki Murakami, and spent the entire day being a bookworm.

I’ve read a few books since I’ve been here, and I can’t say I enjoyed them as much as I enjoyed Nancy Drew’s adventures back in the 4th grade. I’ve always imagined coming across a gem in a hole-in-the-wall bookstore like this one, but I suppose that only happens in the movies.





xoxo,
Amy

2 comments:

  1. You should read The Marriage Plot it's fiction by Jeffrey Eugenides~ I'm almost finished with it highly suggest it! If you want to go the non-fiction route pick up a copy of Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers~ your businesslike mind will love it I am sure. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions Truly! If only they had a large enough selection of english books here. I'll make sure to pick those up when I get back to the states! :)

    ReplyDelete