Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Arriving in Belgium

I get to the airport early, checked in, and they randomly assigned me the last seat next to the smelly bathroom. Not to worry, once I got to the gate, I nicely asked the lady behind the desk if she could upgrade my seat if there was room, which she was glad to do. :)

Tuesday.

 6 or so hours later…

Vending Machine at the train station: chocolate & condoms.
I arrive at the airport in Brussels, and everything is in Flemish. There’s a reason why signs have pictures, and why time and city names are universal!

I finally arrived on campus, which is 15 miles outside of Brussels, and have absolutely no clue what to do.  Everyone here is extremely helpful though. I was in the office, and some random girl named, Mona, from Morocco, saw my distress from afar, and offered to walk me to all the apartment agencies to find an accommodation. After 5 apartment agencies, I had no luck. I was forced to stay in the temporary accommodation the school provided us. The ratio from guys to girls at this place is about 20:3.

I’m honestly really glad I decided to go with the flow when I got here. I’ve made so many friends being in the temporary accommodation area. I’ve made two girlfriends, named Ricarda and Jessica, from Germany and New Zealand, respectively. The rest of my friends are boys; from all over the world such as Canada, England, Italy, Belgium, France, Slovakia, Ireland, Brazil, Venezuela, Spain, and India. Surprisingly, I’m the only American girl here so far.

I had a nice stroll throughout the city, and visited the outdoor markets, which are in the town center every Tuesday and Saturday.

So far, things are going relatively well.


xoxo,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment