Saturday, September 24, 2011

In Bruges


Bruges, Venice of the North
When I was registering for classes, I met 2 girls who invited me to go to Bruges with them on Friday.  We took the train there, and walked around the city a bit.

The town center in Bruges



















We decided to start the day the Belgian way, with a beer. So what a better way then by going on a brewery tour! 

Free beer after the tou







Church of Our Lady














Then off to the Church of Our Lady, which is famous for Madonna by Michelangelo. We weren't suppose to take photos, but I snuck one in. :)







If you want a workout and a great view of the city, the Bell Tower is the way to go. I climbed about 10+ flights of stairs to go to the top of the Bell Tower. The views are stunning! What I found interesting is that the ledges on this tower have these engravings in the cement pointing in the direction of popular cities in Europe. 

Paris engraving on the ledge. The church in the background.

Our lobster friend Steve.

Bruges is located near the coast, so it's quite famous for its seafood. Off to eat mussels and frites at a popular Bruges restaurant, then bars to hang out with the local youth! My new friends and I picked up an interest in botany ;) We made up a code, referring to boys as "fleurs." 









From left to right: Megan, Haven, and I sitting near the fountains.

After a full- action packed day, we called it a night and took the last train back to campus. 





xoxo,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment